Staff at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital describe different types of stigma. Learn how you can reduce stigma against those with mental illness.
Seven Things You Can Do to Reduce Stigma
- Know the facts. Educate yourself about mental illness including substance use disorders.
- Be aware of your attitudes and behaviour. Examine your own judgmental thinking, reinforced by upbringing and society.
- Choose your words carefully. The way we speak can affect the attitudes of others.
- Educate others. Pass on facts and positive attitudes; challenge myths and stereotypes.
- Focus on the positive. Mental illness, including addictions, are only part of anyone's larger picture.
- Support people. Treat everyone with dignity and respect; offer support and encouragement.
- Include everyone. It's against the law to deny jobs or services to anyone with these health issues.
CLICK HERE to learn more about how to address stigma.
Source: The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health