Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Common symptoms of COVID-19 may include:
- new or worsening cough (not related to other known causes or conditions)
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (not related to other known causes or conditions)
- fever - temperature equal to or over 38°C and/or chills
Other symptoms of COVID-19 can include (if not related to other known causes or conditions):
- fatigue, lethargy (general feeling of being unwell, lack of energy, extreme tiredness)
- muscle aches and pain (unexplained, unusual and long lasting)
- nasal congestion (stuffy nose)
- decrease or loss of smell or taste
- nausea and/or vomiting
- abdominal pain
Atypical symptoms can include:
- conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- decreased or lack of appetite (for young children and not related to other known causes or conditions)
COVID-19, the Flu or Common Cold? Click here to view a chart that might help.
New! COVID, Cold and Flu Care Clinics
These medical clinics test, assess and provide treatment for people with COVID-19 and other cold and flu-like illnesses. All appointments for the COVID Cold and Flu Care Clinics must be pre-booked by calling 519-631-2030 ext. 6210. Click here to learn more about when to visit a COVID, Cold and Flu Care Clinics, locations, and hours of operation. By appointment only. No walk-ins.
When should you go to the Emergency Department?
Children: Take your child to the Emergency Department if they are struggling to breathe or have an unmanageable fever.
Adults: Go to the Emergency Department if you have a fever for 72 hours despite medication, continuous shortness of breath, or you are unable to stay hydrated.
How can I protect myself against COVID-19?
- Wash your hands often
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are unwell
- Cough/sneeze into a tissue or into your sleeve or arm (immediately wash your hands after)
- Don't touch your face
- Clean your hands before eating/drinking
- Clean frequently touched objects and surfaces, like bathroom sinks, kitchen counters, etc.