Women & Children's: Family Centred Care
Family Unit and Involvement in Decision Making
**COVID VISITING GUIDELINES** (effective July 6, 2020)
PEDIATRIC PATIENTS: Children may be accompanied by one (1) adult or caregiver.
SPECIAL CARE NURSERY: Patient may have up to two (2) caregivers present. Visitation hours will be coordinated with the patient care team.
WOMEN IN LABOUR/POST-PARTUM: Women in Labour are able to have one (1) adult visitor for the duration of their labour and post-partum stay.
The Women and Children's unit provides six maternity inpatient beds, six pediatric inpatient beds and four isolettes in the Special Care Nursery. There are also six labour/delivery/recovery rooms.
Our care is focused on pre-natal, intrapartum, post-partum, neonatal and pediatric patient care needs. We value family unity and involvement in decision-making as the basis of the philosophy of family-centred care. In addition to inpatient services, Women and Children's functions to provide outpatient support in a number of areas including, non-stress testing, day surgery for pediatrics, pre-admission clinics for obstetrics and pediatrics and outpatient recovery for pediatric diagnostic testing.
The Women and Children's unit encompasses the entire third floor of STEGH. Patients are placed in the most appropriate bed based on diagnostic and age-related criteria – for example, one wing is Post-Partum with an area designated for the Special Care Nursery, one wing is designated Inpatient Pediatric patients and one is Labour/Delivery/Recovery with six Birthing Rooms.
- Birthing Rooms (furnished and designed for a home-like atmosphere)
- Comfort Measures (whirlpool tub, nitronox, epidurals, birthing ball)
- Obstetrical Assessment Unit
- Breastfeeding Support (inpatient and outpatient)
- Family Centred Care Philosophy encourages 'rooming in' and family involvement
- Obstetric and Pediatric Pre-Admit Clinic (please call 519-631-2030, Ext 3197)
- Special Care Nursery (for premature and sick infants). See SCN Visiting Guidelines here
- Infant Hearing Screening Program
The Women and Children's unit is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
There is always at least one Obstetrician, Pediatrician and Anesthetist On Call 24 hours/day.
Phone: 519-631-2030 Ext. 2196 (Monday – Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm)
The 3rd floor of the hospital.