Published On: May 2, 2019
(St. Thomas, ON) – On Friday, April 26, 2019, health care providers from across the Elgin / St. Thomas community, including primary care, long term care, mental health, community health centres and the hospital, met to explore interest in submitting an application to establish an Ontario Health Team (OHT). The attendees agreed to proceed with the initial Self-Assessment to be submitted to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (Ministry).
OHTs are a new model of integrated care delivery that will enable patients, families, communities, providers and system leaders to work together, innovate and build on what is best in Ontario’s health care system. Through this model, groups of health care providers will work together as a team to deliver a full and coordinated continuum of care for patients, even if they are not in the same organization or physical location. As a team, they will work to achieve common goals related to improved health outcomes, patient and provider experience, and value. The goal is to provide better, more integrated care across the province.
The readiness assessment process will determine whether a proposed OHT meets Ministry readiness criteria to begin implementation or are not yet ready for implementation but can be actively supported to work towards readiness. Based on the Ministry’s Self-Assessment evaluations, selected groups will be invited to complete a full application.
If selected to proceed to complete a full application, the Elgin participants acknowledge the opportunity to extend the invitation to other health and social service providers who may wish to participate. The participants at the April 26th planning session were as follows:
- Central Community Health Centre
- City of St. Thomas (long-term care facilities)
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Elgin
- County of Elgin (long-term care facilities)
- East Elgin Family Health Team
- Elgin Family Health Organization
- Elmdale Family Health Organization
- Elmwood Family Health Organization
- Mennonite Community Services
- St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital
- Thames Valley Family Health Team
- West Elgin Community Health Centre