The purpose of the Infection Control Service is to reduce the risk of infections and related adverse events among patients, staff, visitors and other hospital users.
Our goals are to:
- Provide an effective surveillance program through the systematic collection and statistical analyses of targeted hospital acquired infections.
- Provide formal and informal education on the principles and practices of Infection Prevention and Control to all hospital users.
- Translate federal and provincial infection control guidelines into practices for the front line professionals.
- Provide internal and external consultation on matters relating to the prevention and control of infections.
- Maintain liaison with public health, the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and allied professionals.
- Adhere to accreditation standards.
Wash your hands
Most germs in hospitals can be spread by unclean hands. Each time a person touches an object or another person, germs go along for the ride. Once an infection starts, it can quickly spread to you, your family, and other patients.