About Pastoral Care
Pastoral Care provides spiritual and religious support to patients, their families and hospital staff. As part of the interdisciplinary patient care team, our goal is to make sure every patient's spiritual health is taken care of during their stay.
Some ways we can help:
- Listening to concerns
- Wrestling with difficult questions
- Acting as an advocate for you, the patient
- Helping to obtain the rites and sacraments of each patient's faith tradition
- Assisting in decision making
- Being present with you
- Contacting the leader of each patient's own faith community
- Praying with you
Pastoral Care is responsible for the coordination of the following within the Hospital:
- Community Clergy Volunteers - Leaders of the churches in our community receive orientation to our hospital's values, Code of Conduct, and Confidentiality. These Volunteers are welcome to visit members of their church who are receiving care.
- Family Support Team – a team dedicated to providing support to the families and friends of critically ill or injured patients treated in our Emergency Department.
- On-call Clergy Team – a team of community faith leaders who offer their expertise to the hospital by providing on-call coverage to deal with pastoral emergencies when the patient’s own faith leader is not available or for individuals with no particular religious connection.
Coverage for pastoral emergencies is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please contact your nurse or switchboard for help.
The Multi-Faith Room is located in the Main Building on the First floor (close to the Health Records Department).
Worship services are held in the Continuing Care Centre (Ground floor lounge) on Tuesday afternoons at 2:30 pm.
Phone: 519-631-2030 Ext. 2353