Founded in 1891, The Amasa Wood Hospital was the first predecessor to the present St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. In 1923-1924, the communities of Elgin County and St. Thomas set out to build a new facility in memory of those who fought in the First World War and the New Memorial Hospital was built.
Due to continued overcrowding and population pressures, the hospital has seen multiple expansions and expansion plans over the years. On May 11, 1954, with full funding from the government, a new facility, the St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital, opened for the first time. The Hospital required an expansion again in the late 1950s and developed a 10-year expansion plan once more in 1961. Those latest expansion plans included not only expanding the facility but also updating its services to serve its patients better.
Technological and service based updates continued throughout the next few decades including new wings, more specialized care, as well as advances in cutting edge medical technology, making the St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital a centre of medical excellence.