The STEGH Auxiliary has over 60 members and since 1987 has donated over 1.5 million dollars to the Hospital.
The Auxiliary office is located on the first floor of the hospital. If you are interested in becoming a member, contact the Auxiliary Office at 519-631-2030 Ext 2299, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Auxiliary also runs The Gift Box at STEGH.
The Purpose of the Auxiliary
- To promote effective programs for raising money and establishing funds to assist the Hospital in providing its aid and care to the community
- To work in harmony with the governors, officers and administrators of the Hospital
- To offer personal service and aid to patients at the Hospital
- To operate such profit making ventures as are deemed appropriate from time to time including a Gift Shop, H.E.L.P.P. Lottery tickets, etc.
The History of the Auxiliary at STEGH
In the early years, The Auxiliary was known as the Women's Aid, and their fundraising efforts, consisting of Talent Shows, Food Sales, Operetta, among others, helped raise monies to furnish rooms at the Nurses’ Residence, the Reception room and donate funds towards the hospital equipment requirements.
- The Hospital Auxiliary Association continues today as The St. Thomas General Hospital Auxiliary. Our membership in the year 2012 stands at over 60 with people dedicated to helping our hospital deliver an excellent patient care experience.
The Hospital Auxiliaries Association of Ontario (HAAO)
The HAAO is a voluntary, non-profit association representing hospital auxiliaries and volunteer associations affiliated with Ontario hospitals.
The first auxiliary, the Ladies Hospital Society, was founded in 1865 in St. Catherines before amalgamating into an association in 1910. The St. Thomas Hospital Women’s Aid joined the Association in 1919 and continues to be members of the HAAO today.
- Provides education, leadership and advocacy on behalf of members
- The HAAO represents the Auxiliary’s interest, needs and views to the Ontario Hospital Association, the government and the public.
- The President of HAAO is a member of the Board of Directors of the OHA and the Canadian Association of Healthcare Auxiliaries.
- In the year 2010, 151 auxiliaries reported a total membership of 25,679 members, 3,715,804 hours of service, and a gross income of $37,307,415.